Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Upper Grade Mentor Texts

I realized that one thing that I really missed in 6th grade was using picture books to teach writing.

One of the best things I did this summer was to dedicate some time to finding  new picture books to use the first week of school The quality of picture books is amazing!

I found many of the books to be relevant to the age group I teach.  These books have a universal theme that students can relate to and they lend themselves to some great class discussion.

I worked on using these picture books for writing models that help students with a number or writing skills:
Writing for a purpose
Writing for an audience
Responding to a prompt
Staying focused and organized
Responding to the story with a personal response


Here is my catchy title ...Groundbreaking Writing
Why groundbreaking? Well, these activities are meant to help my students break ground to becoming better writers. You can check out my 5-day series of using picture books to get students engaged and excited to write.

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Upper-Grade-Mentor-Texts-Get-Them-Writing-2686327


1. Dear Teacher by Amy Husband
2. A Perfectly Messed-Up Story by Patrick McDonnell
3. The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes by Mark Pett
4. Nerdy Birdy by Aaron Reynolds
5. My Teacher for President by Kay Winters




No comments :

Post a Comment

We love comments.