Friday, July 1, 2016

Running Records, MSV OhMy...

Running Records! I feel like it's been so long since they were mentioned. I am actually pretty jazzed with myself for still using them to analyze my students needs... and I simply used a blank sheet of paper too.
In this chapter Serravallo discusses the three cuing systems that skilled readers use in order to make meaning of what they are reading - M=Meaning, S=Structure, and V=Visual. At first, I thought I remember using these strategies when I taught first and second grade. Then Serravallo tweeted this eye-opening article: Click on the birdy :)
https://twitter.com/JSerravallo/status/748611553713336320
The article discusses the need to rethink how we teach sight words in the U.S. The author, Nell K. Duke,  has good tips and sound reasoning on why there is a need for change. This article hit home, because I had a handful of students that struggled to read in 6th grade and I often felt unsure of what to do to help them. One point that made total sense is that teachers have often taught these amazing strategies too early in a child's development for them to really understand how to use these strategies on their own. Duke shares that strategies should be taught later at a later age when students have had a more solid foundation.

What are your thoughts... any strategies you use that you have found useful in teaching sight words?

No comments :

Post a Comment

We love comments.